In the most recent episode of The Small Business Show, we explore the impact of having a robust presence on LinkedIn and how to establish it. Our guest is Lorraine K. Lee, the founder of RISE Learning Solutions, a Stanford instructor, keynote speaker, and instructor at LinkedIn Learning. Lee is a LinkedIn Top Voice and has over 300,000 LinkedIn followers!
It is crucial for entrepreneurs to establish a strong presence on LinkedIn because it serves as a modern-day online landing page. When people want to learn about a person or organization, they typically start by looking at their LinkedIn profile before exploring other platforms.
1. According to a recent study by the RAIN Group, 82% of potential buyers tend to visit your LinkedIn profile before responding to your prospecting efforts. This statistic emphasizes the importance of having a well-crafted LinkedIn page that can help establish your credibility and increase awareness of your business.
2. For entrepreneurs looking to build a LinkedIn profile, the following elements are key contributors they should focus on. To make your LinkedIn profile more effective, you should optimize it. This involves creating a solid foundation that will either attract or deter people. To do this, you need a high-quality profile photo that conveys professionalism and approachability, followed by a compelling headline that goes beyond your job title. Additionally, you should use industry-specific keywords related to your business and, finally, have a solid background photo.
3. With remote work, there is more flexibility in having a profile photo showing more of your personality. However, a few parameters remain that entrepreneurs should consider, such as keeping it business casual.
4. According to Lee, there was a time when people shared a lot of behind-the-scenes information about their business on LinkedIn, which made the platform feel more like Facebook. However, after receiving feedback, people have started to keep their posts more professional.
5. Lee believes that there are several “non-obvious” best practices for using LinkedIn effectively. For example, the new feature that allows users to record the pronunciation of their name can be used to give a quick pitch about yourself or your business. Additionally, the “Creator Mode” feature allows entrepreneurs to showcase more media-rich content on their page, making it more eye-catching.
6. Lee advises entrepreneurs who feel uncomfortable about posting on LinkedIn to start by posting once a month and create a content calendar to reduce stress later. It’s also helpful to seek input from others and build a supportive network. Lastly, engaging with other people’s posts by leaving comments is an effective way to showcase your professional personality and generate content.
"Implementing videos on your profile is a great way to stand out and add your personality. But remember, gaining traction is all about consistency." – Lorraine K. Lee.