Terminating an employee is one of the most difficult things to do as a business owner or manager. Not only because of the emotional toll it takes on the employee, but the potential legal consequences it could have for your company. Here to give us a rundown of employee and employer rights is Ajay Jindia, a business attorney at Schoenthaler Law Group, and General Counsel and Corporate Secretary for TiE Atlanta.
In our interview, we asked Ajay the following:
- What are the legal rights of an employer within the first 90 days of an employee’s work term?
- What steps should an employer take when considering termination of an employee?
- How much severance are you expected to provide a terminated employee?
- What are the legal ramifications of letting an employee go during a medical leave?
- Does any employer have the right to drug test their staff?
- Can you fire someone for having additions, for example being a smoker or a heavy drinker in their personal time?
To hear Ajay’s answers and find out more, be sure to watch our entire interview above.
The Atlanta Small Business Network, from start-up to success, we are your go-to resource for small business news, information, resources.
Follow us on Facebook here and stay up to date or catch-up on all our podcasts on demand.
While you’re here, don’t forget to subscribe to our email newsletter for all the latest business news know-how from Atlanta Small Business Network.
This has been a JBF Business Media production.